Thursday, September 27, 2012

Porsche Panamera Wagon Concept Revealed

One thing I will always be a fan of is a good looking wagon. You cannot imagine how happy I am to see that Porsche will be releasing a wagon version of their Panamera. The new model (cue the long name), the Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo Concept, is a fantastic looking car. Set to be displayed at the Paris Motor Show beginning September 27, the new Panamera is sure to be a hot topic.

As many of my loyal readers know, I have a major issue with the current five-door Panamera as I discussed in my road test. While I loved the ride, the quality and the power, I have an issue with the rear styling. I am also not the only one to think that it was hit by the ugly stick (watch an episode of Top Gear or read any review) the rear hatch on the Panamera has had some industry experts dub it, "ugly but deadly." While I understand the purpose for the rear hatch (trunk space and making it look like a stretched 911) I think it was poorly executed.

The revised front hints at the update Panamera.
The new wagon, as you can see above, is just plain beautiful. This car is fantastic to look at. It takes the good aspects of the Panamera design and adds sexier lines and more cargo space. While the car does look like a combination of every Porsche model thrown into one, I think it pulled the best aspects. The headlights off of the new Boxster, the tail lamps off of the 911 and the overall image of a shortened Cayenne all come together beautifully to make this car what the Panamera should have been.

Less buttons and clutter make for an improved interior.

There is also another aspect to this news, the new concept gives us a hint at the refresh of the standard Panamera. Now in its third year on the market, it is due for a mid-cycle refresh. It appears that we will be greeted with a revised face and an improved interior to cut down on the number of buttons.

While I can only hope for a Turbo version of this, the concept at the Paris Motor Show will be powered by Porsche's plug-in "e-Hybrid" design. Either way, I look forward to seeing this and the 918 on the road soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment